We exert influence on local government, developers and others through routine participation in planning committees, and by establishing expert groups to respond to critical subjects such as the recent Local Plan.
We keep members informed of prospects and our activities through reports to meetings, emails and our newsletter.
The Society was created in 1956 to save the many threatened fine buildings of Leamington. We have continued to work to preserve the architecture and the character of our town; in the mid-1960s we fought to save the Town Hall, which thankfully still graces The Parade today.
In the 1980s we campaigned with other groups to prevent the Royal Pump Rooms and its Gardens from being sold for development as a private health clinic.
The Adelaide Road bridge was also saved from demolition and replacement by a concrete alternative
Prompt action by the Society in 2014 achieved Grade 2 listing for the Post Office building in Priory Terrace, first opened in 1870. While this could not ensure its further use as a Post Office, demolition or unsuitable development will be prevented. The Society also takes action on other, perhaps less noticeable but still detrimental, problems. For instance the unsightly advertising board in the flower bed outside the Jephson Gardens West Lodge, whose removal followed repeated protests, as was the unsuitable fencing first erected along the York Way side of the Old Library, also a listed building.
Not all successes can be credited to the Society alone but by working with others we can achieve a great deal.