A building or structure may be listed for its architectural merit or its historical significance, or both (Town and Country Planning Act 1947). The British Listed Buildings for England website contains 442 entries for Royal Leamington Spa, many describing more than one property, making the town particularly rich in listed buildings.
The earliest are 15, 17 Church Street, built around 1700, timber framed wattle and daub construction, now stucco-fronted
The Royal Pump Room and Baths, opened in 1814, was originally surrounded by a colonnade of double Doric columns with pitched roof. It has been much extended since then.
Lansdowne Crescent (begun in 1834) is a classical terrace of 3-storey houses with a continuous veranda of cast-iron uprights and railings. Each has an attic, basement and a pediment over the first-floor windows.
Nearby Lansdowne Circus is a series of identical Regency-style semi-detached houses and two separate villas by the one builder, all with cast-iron porches and verandas.
While most of central Leamington is pale stucco, there are some significant listed red brick buildings – the Bath Assembly Rooms, Manor House Hotel, the former Library and Art Gallery, Leamington College and particularly the Town Hall (1884) designed by John Cundall. Its size and elaborate ornamentation in a multitude of architectural styles ensure prominence on the Parade.
20th century listings include the Art Deco station, completed just before WWII, and the Roman Catholic Church of Lillington and Lillington Library (both by architect Henry Fedeski, 1963).
Among other listed structures are bridges, the bandstand in the Pump Room Gardens and two sewer ventilation pipes in Leam Terrace.